T Flip Flop
T flip flop are one of the sequential circuits. The ‘T’ in the T Flip flop stands for toggle, so it is also known as Toggle Flip flop or T flip flop. This type of circuits has only one input unit, unlike SR flip flop and JK flip flop. The input unit of T flip flop is referred to as Trigger unit or the Toggle input unit.
What is toggling in T flip flop ?
- Toggle means switching or moving from one state to another using a toggle action.
- This movement which is known as toggle action is a fast movement due to the presence of toggles in it.
- So, basically when the circuit changes its state from one state output to the complement other state output, then this process is referred to as toggling.
The control input unit the T flip flop circuit is the ‘T’ unit. And, one more unit is present in this circuit that is the clock unit.
What are positive edge-triggered T flip flop ?
- T flip flops are also referred to as positive edge-triggered flip flops, when the clock unit is present in the triangular form.
- In these positive edge-triggered flip flops circuit, the change in the output values occur when the clock is present at the positive edge, that is why they are referred to as positive edge-triggered flip flops.
- When the clock is not present at the positive edge, then it keeps the output value same; that is it keeps it held in the same position, so no change occurs in the output value at the positive edge.
What are negative edge-triggered T flip flop ?
- When the change in the output occurs at the negative edge of the clock, then it is referred to as negative edge-triggered flip flops.
- These types of flip flops are also known as level-triggered flip flops.
- Because the change in their state is only brought when the value is 1.
- In most of the T flip flops circuit we study, we only consider the negative edge-triggered flip flops.
T flip flops circuit can also be made by altering or modifying JK flip flops. ‘JK’ in ‘JK flip flop’ stands for ‘Jack Kilby’ that is on the name of the scientist who invented this sequential circuit. It is one of the most versatile flip flop circuits. So, if we modify the JK flip flop a bit, then we can easily construct our desired T flip flop.
If we make the input of both the set (J) unit and reset (K) unit high of JK flip flop. Then it can easily be converted into a T flip flop.
Working of T Flip flop
It is basically an edge-triggered circuit which means that it works on high to low or low to high transitions that occur on a clock signal.
And, these narrow triggers that are generated in the circuit cause the change in the output value or we can say it flip-flops (i.e. it changes from one state to another).
You may also like Sun Tracking Solar Panel
Applications of T flip flop
- It is used in counter designs.
- These flip flops are used for constructing binary counters.
- They are used in frequency dividers.
- This type of sequential circuits is also present in binary addition devices.
- It is also used in 2-bit parallel load registers.
- It also used in shift registers.
You may also like how to test a diode